I skipped a week! Sorry about that! I just graduated from college so I spent the week celebrating and waltzing around campus in a cap and gown. I’m officially a chemical engineer and have to enter the real world! At least I’ll always have the crazy world of Irish Dance to distract me when I start missing college.
An exciting week in the world of Irish dancing! The film Jig has come out in theatres across the UK after it’s premier in Glasgow on May 4th. So, fittingly, the links this week are about Jig. Can’t wait until it comes to the US. I just hope that I’m not in Europe when it comes out!
1. Interview with former World Champion Suzanne Coyle about her time in Irish dance and her future aspirations.
2. A BBC clip showing some more Jig footage. It heavily features Julia O’Rourke’s heavy round!I just love watching her teachers, the Petri sisters, watch her. I know I’ve seen teachers and parents doing that so many times!
3. An interview from TeensFirst with Jig director Susan Bourne. Interesting to hear her take on making the film and interacting with An Coimisiun. Here are some more interviews with Susan from The Fan Carpet, Female First, and RTE!
5. The rest of the reviews of the film that have come out so far! The good, the bad and the ugly! Looks like we’ll have to see it for ourselves to decide! From: The List, The Film Pilgrim, The Arts Desk, The Daily Mail, The Irish Times, The Guardian, The Indepedent, and Obsessed with Film. It seems like people who get it, get it and love it so I can’t wait to see it. See this dance.net thread for an interesting discussion discussion on the reviews and their general perception of Irish Dancing.
6. An article featuring Jig star Brogan McCay after she won the Worlds this year. So cute!
That’s all I found so far. Let me know if you find any other reviews or any pictures from theater parties! It really sounds fantastic and I can’t wait to see it.