It’s the weekend! Happy Friday, everyone! Keep your eyes peeled for exciting Feisonista news next week and some of my favorite posts to date. Enjoy some of the last weekends of summer before school starts….
1. First some sad news. 14 year old dancer Emily Maki passed away this week. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends. Here’s a video tribute to Emily.
2. Alright, so this isn’t really Irish dance related, but I love a good sheep picture. I have yet to meet an Irish dancer that does not like sheep.. How adorable is this dressed up sheep? Love it!
3. Jig is coming to the BBC! It will premier on BBC2 on August 30th! Exciting news if you haven’t seen it yet!
4. The Richens/Timm School put on a great show at the Dublin Irish Festival with this Lord of the Dance number! It features Lord of the Dance troupe member (and future lead understudy-according to the video!) Zach Klingenberg. Awesome work! I love the girls costumes too. Very classy.
5. Have a blue and white solo dress? Here’s a makeup tutorial for just for blue and white solo dresses! Check it out!
6. In other Jig news, here are the upcoming showtimes for the online streaming of the full movie. It’s hosted by a different influential dance person each time. I saw it this past weekend and loved it! The interface worked perfectly and it was cool to chat with other viewers during it. Not to mention chatting with Jenna and Channing Tatum was pretty fantastic! Buy tickets here.
Wednesday 8/17, 6pm EST: Supermodel Coco Rocha will be LIVE via webcam during and afterthe screening. Attendees will be able to chat live with her about her experiencewith Irish dancing.
Thursday 8/18, 6pm EST: Irish dance phenom Joe Bitter hosts live!
Friday 8/19, 6pm EST: JIG director Sue Bourne hosts live!
Saturday 8/20, 6pm EST: Joe Bitter hosts live!
Sunday 8/21, 6pm EST: Sue Bourne hosts live!
7. Cute pictures from Historic Savannah Feis! Love the outfit on the girl in the middle in that last picture! Talk about feis chic.
8. Up and Over It were on America’s Got Talent this week with other youtube stars like the one and only Rebecca Black. We, we, we SO excited. Check out their video! I think it’s their best one yet! It’s awesome, awesome – gotta love it, it’s awesome! (If you have yet to see the Rebecca Black “Friday” video on youtube, I also HIGHLY suggest that. It is Friday after all!)
9. A really cool portrait of Gavin Doherty in his workshop. Stunning, just like his dresses.
10. Bored waiting for results at a feis? Here are some suggestions from Irish Central to stay on your game during lag periods.
11. A refreshing and inspiring post from Irish Central again about “Hoping to win, planning to succeed.” Great advice! A must read for any dancer.
12. Doire added an album on Facebook from the 2011 North American Nationals in July! Love, love, love.
13. If you’re dancing this weekend, email email@example.com! You might end up in the next issue of IDM. Don’t forget to enter their dress contest as well!
14. Curious about Sean-nos dancing? Check out this video from a recent show with accomplished competitive Irish dancers like Kieran Jordan. This more traditional style of Irish dancing focuses on precise rhythm but a looser overall style.
15. New Sneaky Steppers video and I think it’s my favorite yet. Amazing dancing, amazing concept.
That’s it for this week. See anything else around the web Irish dance related? Let me know!
Stay Fashionable, Feisers!